Monday, November 21, 2016

GIS Day Around the Kitchen Table

GIS Internship - Week 13

This year on GIS Day I was in New Mexico visiting my daughter so I decided to make my GIS day an opportunity to share GIS with her.  My daughter is a park ranger and has been looking for openings at parks on the east coast, preferably in Virginia because she'd like to go back to school and get her Masters in History, focusing on Constitutional History.  One of the things she has said over and over is that she'd like to be close enough to make trips up to DC so she can go to the Library of Congress to do research. So of course the very first thing I did was share a fellow classmate's post about her GIS Day visit to the Library of Congress.  My daughter was very jealous and very impressed.  She was also surprised to hear they had material from the medieval age since that preceded not only the founding of this country, but also its discovery. So she is very anxious now to discover what that material is and why it was included in the library's collection.
Once I got her to quit drooling over the library I showed her the Residential Location Study I did for my final project for Applications in GIS.  She got a kick out of seeing I had done it for a mother and daughter moving to St. Augustine, a place I've told her many times I'd like to go visit with her, and the mother would be working at the county GIS office and the daughter as a park ranger at Castillo de San Marcos National Monument.  I summarized the process of creating the location study and we talked about the different criteria we could use to help her chose a location to start looking for houses once she finds a job back east.
Last we used google maps to plan her drive from New Mexico to Florida, selecting good stopping points along the way and investigating the hotels in those areas where she can spend the night with her two furry babies when she drives out to spend Christmas with me.
We had a good time and several giggles, and she said she thought she understood much better now what I've been studying, but it really wasn't anything to take pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment